ESG and sustainability are central to today’s global financial dialogues. With the evolution of these sectors comes the concurrent transformation of the regulatory frameworks and political practices that oversee them.
Stefanie Ott will explore the Net Zero Insurance Alliance’s journey, its eventual challenges, and the subsequent discontinuation. She will emphasize the global challenges insurers and reinsurers face when adhering to ESG regulations, offering a deep dive into the tensions experienced by companies globally.
Christopher Greenwald will offer insights from the banking viewpoint, highlighting the adoption of MiFID regulations in Europe and illustrating how regulation can foster innovation in a broader context.
What you will learn:
- The different ESG regulations applied in the financial sector.
- Insurance-based perspectives on ESG trends and strategies.
- How private banking sectors is adapting to evolving regulations.
- How implementation of regulation can be used as a driver for new innovations.
- Best practices for navigating the ESG landscape from a regulatory standpoint.
- Stefanie Ott is Global Board and Executive leader in the field of Sustainability and Risk Management.
Stefanie was Head Group Qualitative Risk Management at Swiss Re and member of Swiss Re’s Risk Management Executive Team. She had the group-wide responsibility for the identification and oversight of sustainability risks among others. She also drove the implementation of the sustainability strategy for the company and built up the sustainability reporting capabilities. Prior to joining Swiss Re, Stefanie Ott was CRO and a member of the Executive Committee of Generali in Switzerland. Prior to joining Generali, she spent over 16 years with Deloitte in audit and consulting in the US, UK and Switzerland. Stefanie is the chairwoman of the Leysin American School in Switzerland, a family-owned prestigious international boarding school. She holds a Masters in Finance from the University of Geneva and is a Certified Public Accountant in US and Switzerland.
- Christopher Greenwald is Head of Sustainable Investing at LGT Bank (Switzerland) Ltd., where he has been since Jan, 2002. Prior to that, he was Head of Sustainable Investment Research & Specialists at UBS Asset Management for 5 years. Previously he worked at RobecoSAM as Head of Sustainability Investing Research. He has also served as Head of ESG Content Strategy at ThomsonReuters and Director of Data Content at ASSET4. His academic credentials include a Ph.D. in Political Science from Duke University, an MBA from HEC Lausanne, and the FAME Certificate from the Swiss Finance Institute. Christopher has also taught in the College of Social Sciences at the University of Chicago.
Introduction by János Blum and moderated by Alexander Sperlich.
17:45 Doors open – Name Tag Collection
18:00 Welcome (János Blum)
18:05 Introduction (Alexander Sperlich)
18:15 Balancing Regulatory Requirements and Innovation for Private Clients (Christopher Greenwald)
18:30 A green tsunami: A global re/insurance perspective (Stefanie Ott)
18:45 Panel Discussion with Q&A (All)
19:25 Closing (János Blum)
19:30 Networking drinks (All)
In our chapter events – access for members only – we present one or more speakers to share knowledge, updates and best practices on a specific risk topic. In small groups of risk professionals you can exchange thoughts and test ideas. More on SRA chapters. This event is hosted by the chapter Sustainability.
Navigating ESG: Global Comparisons in Insurance & Private Banking
15. November 2023
18:00 - 20:30