Dr. Beat Hodel
Prof. Dr. Alexander Wagner
- Governance in Financial Institutions – Opportunities and Risks
22. January 2020
18:30 - 20:00
Leading companies is becoming ever more complex. Reputational risks and operational risks, particularly compliance and ethical risks, are currently in the focus of investors and the public. This event aims to address the role of “Good Governance” in the management and mitigation of these risks, areas where traditional risk management quickly reaches its limits.
Questions that will be addressed are:
- How can a financial institution ensure that the organization as a whole is compliant with behavioral standards? What is the role of governance in this?
- Are explicit mechanisms such as regulations and incentives sufficient to ensure a compliant behavior of employees and managers? Under what conditions do these tools fail to deliver the desired outcomes?
- What role does the selection of the right employees play?
- How can ethical behavior of employees be ensured in view of economic pressures and competition?
- What can be realistically expected from a board of directors and senior management of a financial institution, and what practices in a board of directors and in the leadership of such an institution are needed
The participants in the event will benefit from the interaction between academia and practice.
Two short keynotes start off the evening. Alexander Wagner summarizes some general (but practice-motivated) input from current research on the foundations of human behavior, in particular as related to governance. Beat Hodel addresses complexity, compliance and behavioral risks, reputational risks, incentive systems, and the role of governance. The main part then features a discussion and Q&A with the audience that will enable an exchange of knowledge and experience.
Dr. Beat Hodel: Former CRO Raiffeisen Switzerland
Prof. Dr. Alexander Wagner: Professor of Finance at the University of Zurich, SFI Senior Chair
moderated by Tanya König: Presenter “Out & About” & Digital Producer at CNNMoney Switzerland
SRA flagship events are free public events. Established Leaders present emerging and evolving risk topics, engage in a panel discussion and answer questions from the audience. All events are followed by a networking cocktail.
Venue: University Zurich AULA